Wednesday 4 January 2012

You!

Here in Singapore the weather for the last week has been PHENOMENAL. Few things make me happier than opening my blinds in the morning to see a clear blue sky and the Mr Sunshine beaming down on my face - growing up in Australia you take that expansive blue sky for granted, and so when you find a patch of it while you are away from home... well, it is even more inspiring =)



And the sunshine always gets me thinking - what are the things in your life that make your heart sing, that make you feel like YOU again? Your go-to activities that always ground you into your true self and make you feel settled? 

If you are travelling around and away from your home base these are your keys.

One of my keys is my yoga practice, and the feeling of stepping back onto my mat after having had some time off is like plugging myself back into a power socket. I am immediately grounded, settled, and in tune with the dance of life. There is something so magical about the power of your breath and the way in which your body flows and moves fuelled by its power. Taking the time to quieten and actually be one on one with yourself is not something widely encouraged by our busy lifestyles, which makes it even sweeter when you stop.
Follow that yoga class with a beautiful green park, Mr Sunshine back for a visit, and a smoothie (or a big fat juicy MANGO) and ladies and gentlemen we have HEAVEN!

I think it is so important to find those things that make your heart sing and take the time to do them, no matter how selfish, silly, or insignificant they may seem at the time. Sometimes it is breakfast at your favourite cafe with friends, sometimes it is climbing a tree in the park, sometimes it is exploring a new part of town you have never been to. Whatever it is, work it into your weekly routine! 

And on that note I am going to share something else that makes me feel very warm and yummy inside but is also choc full of goodness: Raw Hot Chocolate!

It's super easy to make and great for an afternoon pick me up or for a snuggle with an episode of Grey's Anatomy hehe.

  • a small handful of nuts (I use a mix of cashews and brazils, I think it's about 10 nuts all up?)
  • 1 medjool date, deseeded and chopped up
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • pinch of salt
  • a small tsp coconut butter
  • 1 1/2 heaped tsp raw cacao powder
  • pinch of cinnamon powder
  • hot water
In your blender blend the nuts and dates with a little water until they are a smooth paste. Add the remaining ingredients. Fill your mug with hot water and add that water to the blender. Blend all until smooth and creamy YUMMMM! 

Of course you can make this without a blender, just sub the nuts for already made nut milk and the date with honey or your choice of sweetener. But for me, the blender just makes it extra creamy and creates a lovely frothy top for your yummy drink!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers